Brink, Frederick W. "Gilbert Tennent, Dynamic Preacher." Journal of the Presbyterian Historical Society. Vol 32, No. 2 (1954): 91-107.
Frederick W. Brink (1912-1981) adapted this article from his doctoral dissertation at Temple University, titled “The Contribution of Gilbert Tennent to American Christianity and the American Nation.” Brink was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in the early 1940s and served for many years as a Navy chaplain.
- Who is the author of this source? When was it written? Is it a reliable source?
- What action did Tennent take that helped bring about the schism between Old Side and New Side Presbyterians (page 96)?
- What is the significance of the Log College to American Presbyterianism (page 100)? To the First Great Awakening?
- In what ways did Tennent help with the founding and running of the College of New Jersey, which later became Princeton University (pages 103-105)?
- Why was higher education so important to Tennent?